Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ultimate Chicken Fingers

At our house, I am trying a new thing where I use just what I have in the fridge, pantry, etc for meals. I am only allowing myself to buy the everyday stuff we use (milk, eggs, cheese, bread, fruit, vegetables). I am horrible at making a list, going to the grocery store, buying what's on my list, plus whatever else I think I might need or want to eat at some point and then over-spending. Then never actually eating the food I bought. I know, terrible habit. But it's a new year & time for new things.

Last night, I was going to make dinner with what we already had. I knew I had a whole chicken (I really want to make my mom's chicken chow mein but don't have all the ingredients) and a package of chicken tenders. I decided I would make baked chicken tenders (the whole chicken wasn't thawed out all the way, so we'll be having that tonight). I would normally batter them with flour, dipped in an egg mixture but I remembered seeing a recipe on the back of the Bisquick box for chicken tenders when I was making waffles Sunday night with homemade syrup (talk about amazingly good!! maybe I'll post that recipe one day). I had everything I needed other than the one egg, of course. So I substituted milk in its place. And oh my goodness, these were probably the best chicken tenders I have ever made! Including my good ol' chicken fried ones we love. And the best part about it - so easy, hardly any clean-up, and ready in less than 30 minutes. Even kids will love 'em! Reno sure did ;) This recipe is or should be on the back of your Bisquick box, but if not here it is.

Ultimate Chicken Fingers

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb), cut into strips OR 1 package of chicken breast tenders, which is what I used
2/3 cup Bisquick mix (all purpose baking mix)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (like you put on pizza)
1/2 tsp salt or garlic salt (I used garlic salt)
1/2 tsp paprika
1 egg slightly beaten OR use milk like I did (about 1-2 cups, enough to cover chicken in bowl)
3 Tbsp butter, melted

Heat oven to 450*F. Line cookie sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray. In 1-gallon resealable zip-lock bag, mix Bisquick, cheese, garlic salt & paprika.

Dip chicken in egg or if not using egg, put tenders in a bowl of milk for a few minutes. Put half of your dipped chicken or tenders in zip-lock bag. Seal the bag; shake to coat. Repeat with remaining chicken.

Put chicken on baking sheet. Drizzle butter over chicken.

Bake 12-15 minutes, turning halfway through bake time. Be sure to bake until no longer pink in center.

Recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker


Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment