Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My Facebook Rant

So I've had Facebook wayyy before it became "the thing" to have or do.  Back when the only way you could get an account was if you had a college email address.  You know the days before your parents could join...bless it.

It was a great way to connect with others.  It was a great way to find long lost friends and catch up with them.

Fast forward eh 11 years.

Now it is nothing but people cramming their political views, as well as their stances on issues honestly I could care less about.

It's not that I don't care about things like:
- gun control
- vaccines
- abortion
- GMO's
- breastfeeding vs. formula feeding
- high fructose corn syrup

Or whatever else controversial issues there may be...

Let's be honest.  I'm human.  I'm a woman.  And I have my opinions.

Lots of them, actually.

But that doesn't mean I have to bore people with them.

Constantly.

It's not that I don't believe these are important issues, because they are.  But goodness...does one really care what I think about these issues?  More than likely not.

Not to mention, no one wants to hear about the same thing over and over.  Kind of like flooding your newsfeed with photos of my child - sorry.  Rookie parent move.  You'll understand when you have children... ;)

Back to my rant...

Since when did Facebook become such a breeding grounds for such nonsense.  Or better yet, when did it become a place to solve our government and social issues?  Where everyone is smarter than the other, more informed (misinformed is probably more the case, but hey no one ever likes to be wrong!), and know politics, science, and medicine better than those who actually work in these fields. 

Back in circa 2003, it was a place to post photos of daily musings or update us on what you were doing?
Now it's just a landmine choked full of nonsense.

I realize I could just delete my account.  Or un-friend lots of people.  Don't get me wrong it has crossed my mind many of times...

But I guess I just keep hoping one day it will be back to the "good ol' days" of simpleness.  I realize things have to change and evolve but goodness - why do people feel the need to blast us with their views.

All.the.time.

So you believe in the right to bear arms.  Bravo!  So you think high fructose corn syrup is the best thing since sliced bread.  Bravo!  Oh heavens, don't bring up bread.  Wheat is sure enough to kill us all.  I mean I am pretty sure I understood your view on the President the night of re-election.  I don't need to eight fifteen more posts to get the point. 
Life is already complicated enough.  There is no need to add fuel to it.  Also, it's hard to understand each other if we can't see past each others' beliefs or differences.

Just because you believe a certain way, doesn't mean it's the only way.  Thank goodness.

So for the love of Christmas...stop using Facebook as your sounding board on issues such as these.

Because let's be honest...your rants are not going to change those issues or change the minds of whom read them.  Or change the President.  Or change who vaccines and whom doesn't.  Or change gun laws.  Or change the world.
Not to sound harsh - but most of us don't care!

If you want to make a change or difference, use your energy serving others.  Listening to others.  Being with others.  Learning from others.  Whom are different from you.

Life is messy enough without rants over issues that are never, ever going to go away.  Also, there are people fighting real life issues like cancer, loneliness due to their husband/wife fighting for our country - your freedom, a sick child, unemployment, or whatever kind of battles life throws at us.  We are all battling something.

So be kind.  Count your blessings, look around for the good things in life, and lay off all those silly e-cards.

Too much of anything is never a good thing! ;)

rant over.


No comments:

Post a Comment