Monday, June 9, 2014

Whole30 {Week 1}

So today marks one week since I started Whole30.  I am currently on day 8 and thought I would share a little about this experience.  If you aren't sure what Whole30, click here to learn more.

I heard about Whole30, maybe two years ago but just had a baby and dieting wasn't really on my radar.  Plus, I read what you had to give up and thought "there's no way!" ha.  I decided to get the book It Starts With Food to see what it was all about.  After reading the first few chapters, I knew it was time to make a change regarding my relationship with food - mostly carbs and sugar.

Yea, all the things that taste amazing, call my name at 9pm after dinner, and all those wonderful looking desserts all.over.Pinterest.

So enter Whole30...here are a few things I've learned so far.

-Everything.  Everything has sugar in it.
-Finding sugar-free bacon is near to impossible.
-Reading labels is a must and honestly kind of scary to think about all the "things" we consume without even realizing it.
-Soy is in everything.  Again, everything.
-Farmers markets and local co-op are lifesavers.
-Breakfast is my favorite meal and I am not a morning person!
-I really miss having coffee.  I've been tempted to try it black, but just haven't.
-Not all salts are created equally.

Here's a run down of what I've been eating:

Day 1:
Breakfast: sweet potato hash, egg fried in coconut oil, garden fresh cucumbers and tomatoes with S&P, cantaloupe
Lunch: Pan seared porkchop in olive oil, paprika carrots cooked in coconut oil, and more tomatoes and cucumbers.
Dinner: I had bunco that night and ended up going to eat with a friend...at Chili's.  I ordered a bacon burger without the bun and all veggies.  Squeezed mustard on top of it.  For my family, I baked a whole cut-up chicken in oil olive, onions, carrots, celery, with spices (garlic, onion powder, salt & pepper)

Day 2: (I guess I didn't photograph this day & now I don't remember what I ate)

Breakfast: was probably the same as day 1.
Snack: apple with almond butter sprinkled with cinnamon
Lunch: ????
Dinner: Slow cooked a chuck roast in the oven with onions & carrots.

Day 3:
 Breakfast: sweet potato hash, fried eggs, pasture ground pork patties, and apple slices.


Lunch: Compliant hotdogs topped with yellow mustard & pickles (with no sugar), cucumbers/tomatoes, slice of cantaloupe.
Dinner:
Wednesday is grocery day so after the farmers market, we went out to eat before I took off to the grocery store, alone!  They had half price oysters on the half shell so we got a dozen & ate them WITHOUT a cracker!  I know...actually I didn't even miss the cracker!  I had the fish of the day (drum), grilled with a side of asparagus.  AB had surf & turf.


Day 4: Beach day!

Breakfast: egg scramble with mushrooms, yellow bell peppers, fresh pico, and spinach leaves.  Pasture pork, and cucumbers and tomatoes.
Lunch: For our beach lunch, I packed Applegate salami, green olives, cherry tomatoes, and sugar-free pepperoni (sliced thick) and salt & pepper pistachios to snack on w/ La Croix to drink!
Dinner: grass-fed burgers topped with bacon, sliced avocado & onion, and pico and homemade Whole30 mayo.  Sweet potato fries and sliced tomatoes.

Day 5:

Breakfast (on to go!): 2 hard boiled eggs with S&P, an apple
Lunch: don't remember...???

Dinner: Spaghetti sauce with creamy roasted garlic sauce from Planks, Love, and Guacamole.  It was sooo yummy!  Like we really eating pasta, will definitely make this recipe again!

Day 6:

Breakfast: egg crepe topped with pico, yellow bell pepper, mushrooms, and pork sausage.
Lunch: sausage links with yellow mustard (later I googled the ingredients of sausage & it   wasn't compliant, oops!)
Dinner: sliced brisket, bbq'ed chicken (without sauce), balsamic green beans, salad with ranch dressing using whole30 mayo, and watermelon.

Day 7:

Breakfast: apple- since I didn't have time to cook before church

 Lunch: tuna fish boats made w/ whole30 mayo and watermelon
Dinner: pork chop seared in avacodo oil, oven roasted brussel sprouts, a few green olives and tomatoe slices.
After dinner snack: watermelon with pink salt!

Whew, there's week 1!  I will say that days 2-5 were probably the toughest and randomly yesterday I was craving a Dr Pepper and sausage cheese balls like something fierce.  Totally random!!  I try not to snack but if I do I try to have an apple or watermelon, a few unsalted cashews, or half a Lara Bar.  I mostly drink water with lemon in it.  B loves "lemon-add!" and even B eats better because it.  He always eats whatever we eat so this is forcing us to feed him good stuff, instead of "junk!"

Overall, I am feeling pretty good.  I can tell a difference in mental clarity (thank goodness), and for the most part have more energy.  My body is still adjusting to the whole "shock" of it all, but I am excited to see where I am at the end of this.  I am already planning on doing another Whole30, right after this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment