Thursday, February 5, 2009

Let's bake Nonni


I have these awesome inspiring Williams-Sonoma spatulas that Kara, Madyson, & Maddox gave me for my birthday :)

When I'm not working, cleaning, cooking, OR sewing, I am more than likely baking...PIES, that is! There is something about pies that makes you feel comforted, loved, and happy! While cakes & cookies are just as wonderful - to me a pie is just a delight! Also, not very many people even know how to make pies these days so I'm hoping to start a tradition with my family and that is a PIE tradition! I bet most people (younger kids/adults) don't even know what meringue is. Just like Grandma used to make - isn't that the old saying? And I believe the tradition has already started because now during the holidays, everyone in my family just expects a homemade pie from me. The only problem is I can never decide WHICH kind I want to make...I just want to make them all! My very first pie I ever made (this past summer actually) was a traditional buttermilk pie. Warm right out of the oven- buttermilk is probably my absolute favorite! Tuesday at work we had a birthday party for 2 of my co-workers and I was asked to bring THE PIE! I made old fashioned chocolate pie with homemade whipped cream (instead of meringue) and coconut cream pie also with homemade whipped cream. I tried a new recipe this time for both and the coconut cream pie was delicious!! The chocolate was also good but not as good as the one I made at Christmas. Being the unorganized baker I am...somewhere in the mix of the holidays I lost the recipe I used during Christmas- but I will keep trying until I find it or another that is just as good! I can't wait for the day to have a huge, fancy kitchen where I can bake pies, cakes, cupcakes, and cookies...nothing like a piece of homemade pie...it's like a slice of heaven!

Old Fashioned Chocolate

Coconut Cream w/ whipped cream

“When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmmm, boy.” -Jack Handy



No comments:

Post a Comment