Saturday, June 23, 2012

God's Perfect Timing

Time is of the essence.  Timing is everything.

I'll be real honest, I've never been good with time.  When AB and I were dating, he would tell me we had to leave 30 minutes before we actually had to leave.  And he knew I probably still wouldn't be on time.  Bless his heart!

Even my mother would get onto me about time, being on time, managing my time.  She would say, "it is incredibly rude to be late!"

I'd like to think I've gotten better over time but it's still not my strong suit.

Yes, while time is important in the physical sense - as in "please be on time!"  I think it's even more important in our spiritual lives.

Because let's face it, our timing and God's timing can be so incredibly different.  We wish, hope, pray for something to happen.  And then we wait.  And wait.  And wait.  Wondering if it will ever happen.

During the waiting period, we often lose sight of what we are waiting for.  We often become discouraged.  Tattered.  Bitter.  Ungrateful.  Disappointed.

Our souls long for an answer, for a break-through, for a place of yes!

But as I've learned in the past, our greatest moments with our Saviour aren't when the prayer is answered, yet it is during the time of waiting.

It is in the waiting, that we have no other choice but to surrender to Him.  It may take a while (like in my case because I'm stubborn) but eventually it will happen.

Because after all, this isn't our life.  Our plans may not be His plans, not because he doesn't want those things for us but because he wants something so much greater for us!  Ephesians 3:20 says that "He is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us."


According to his power that is at work within us...during the waiting period is where he is able to work within us.  It is where we are able to truly meet him face to face, surrender our disappointment, time restraints, and self-pity.

Jesus works best within us when we are discouraged, tattered, bitter, ungrateful, and disappointed.  But first we have to surrender so his power can work within us...which means surrendering to his timing, not our own.  Surrendering our plans.  Surrendering our lives.

Surrender means to trust.  Trust him with our lives, our plans, and our thoughts.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

This is what I love about him - where we fall short, he does not.  Thankfully, God's timing is always perfect timing.  He is never early or late.

No comments:

Post a Comment