Thursday, November 8, 2012

Jesus, Friend of Sinners


Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. -Proverbs 12:18

My heart is so heavy.  My heart is simply breaking for the way, humanity (including myself) have acted these past few days.  And I normally would never address controversial topics on my little piece of blog-o-sphere, but if I want my life to bring glory to Him then I feel like I must speak up.  I'd rather hid in a closet, than face controversy but God doesn't call us to be comfortable.  Francis Chan says, "Life is comfortable when you separate yourself from people who are different from you...But God doesn't call us to be comfortable.  He calls us to trust Him so completely that we are unafraid to put ourselves in situations where we will be in trouble if He doesn't come through."

I have read/heard some really harsh things regarding the results of the election.  Ones that aren't even directed towards me, but still pierce my heart.  Then there are those that aren't directly directed at me, but feel like they are.  Generalizations, if you may.  Which bring me to tears then I'm quick to remember that I'm not of this world.  Praise the Lord.  But while I am here, I have to be obedient in what God ask of me.  Which is showing compassion, loving others, and bringing Glory to Him.

But as I self-examine my own heart, I can't help but think that if we are called to love as Christ loves then that means not trampling over each other for what we think is right, not thrashing each other with words that piece like a sword, and definitely not de-friending people simply because you disagree with them.

Those are the people Jesus has called us to love.  To offer a place in our home or at our dinner table.  To offer our time, services, and yes money if needed.

It's so much easier to love those who will love you back.  It's so much easier to be friends with those who believe like you do.  It's so much easier to hoard up your treasures, than to give.  Truly give as if you have nothing to lose.

We all want to be loved.  We all want our voice to be heard.  But we can't do that when we are looking around, rather than up.

This life isn't about us.  It isn't about who resides in the White House.  It isn't about statistics or media-hype or who is right or wrong.  We are all wrong.  We all fall short.

As a sister in Christ, I am almost embarrassed at the way some of us have acted.  Because let's face it, we have not been all that kind or loving.  And I feel like others (like myself) instead of saying anything, just sit back and say nothing.  Which is not okay either.

If we are called to be like Christ, then we are called to love ALL of his people.  Regardless of social status, political party, race, gender, believers, non-believers, or difference of opinions/beliefs.

Loving like Christ loves is definitely a hard task.  But after seeing what I've seen these last few days, I think we Christians have no choice but to try.  We must rise up and hold each other accountable.  Jesus didn't sacrifice his life for us to live lukewarm.  He did it so we may overcome and draw people to Him.  Not abandon them.  And the only way we can love us fault-filled humans, is through Him and with his help.

We have to learn to speak with love and mercy, not with anger and strife.  We have to learn to love beyond our differences.  We have to learn how to lay down our pride.

But most importantly, we have to love people the way God intended us too.  Without judgement.

Because at the end of the day, at the end of this life...what will REALLY matter?

How we loved will be what matters.  Not who resides in the White House the next 4 years or 20 years for that matter.

Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 13:2-3 this:

And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Three things will last forever--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love. -1 Corinthians 13:13

What if we could see past each others differences?  What if we could love with our heart instead of our minds?  What if we truly loved the way Jesus did?  What are others supposed to believe when "we" act the way we do?  Because as a believer, I've hardly felt love these last few days.

"Let the memory of Your mercy bring Your people to their knees
Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded
What if we put down our signs crossed over the lines and loved like You did..."

I pray those in which we have offended, will forgive us and allow us to love them even if we disagree.  I also pray that they will see God's love through us, not our bitterness or poor attitude.  And I pray your love would permeate throughout this wonderful country (where we have the privilege of worshiping you freely), and throughout the world.  We need you more than ever.

Jesus, thank you for breaking my heart for what breaks yours.  Help us to see this world through your eyes and not our own.  Help us to love one another as you have loved us.

His love endures forever.  And for that I am forever grateful.





1 comment: