Monday, October 26, 2009

Twist on Mac n Cheese


So at our house, macaroni and cheese is a family favorite. I do believe AB would have my homemade creamy, cheesy Velveeta macaroni and cheese every day - if I'd allow it. I normally only make homemade shells and cheese on special occasions or when I just feel like making something extra special for AB. Mixing things up is always fun so I came up with a new twist to mac n cheese and oh my, it was delicious! Very different from your ordinary mac n cheese but with lots of flavor and yummy goodness. This is somewhat of an expensive dish since I did use specialty items to make it like Giardiniera Relish...but that is okay because it doesn't hurt to splurge every now and then. I got the relish at HEB and I am not sure other stores carry it. It is made from Canyon Foods out of Dallas and you can order it HERE for $6, if your local grocery store does not carry it. I know you are wondering what in the world is Giardiniera Relish?! Don't worry I wondered the same thing - this actually the 2nd recipe I have used this relish. Giardiniera Relish is...

Spicy and delicious is the only way to describe our version of the Italian-American Giardiniera which translates to pickled garden vegetables. This relish is the perfect addition to an antipasto tray, hot dogs, sandwich spread, added to salads, pasta and pizza or topped on crackers.

This dish is also no where near fat-free, low cal, or any of the above! I've never met a mac n cheese that was for that matter. With the holidays coming up, this would be a great dish to bake and take! I used penne pasta for my mac n cheese because that is what I had...you may use whatever pasta you wish.

Smokey Baked Mac n Cheese with Giardiniera Relish

1/2 pound choice of macaroni/pasta of your choice
1 jar of Giardiniera Relish, drained
4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 cup of heavy cream
1/4 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano
1 round cut smoked Gouda, cut into cubes

Cook bacon & crumble, set aside. Bring water to boil for pasta. Preheat oven 400*.

In small sauce pan on low heat or in microwave bowl, combine heavy cream and cheeses until cheese sauce is made. If using microwave, heat mixture no more than 2 minutes at a time - stirring between to prevent burning. Once pasta is done and has been drained, put pasta in oven-proof dish (Pyrex, Corning-ware). Add drained relish and bacon to cheese sauce. Mix in cheese sauce, coating all pasta. Sprinkle top with more Parmigiano Reggiano, if desired. Bake 15 minutes or until it is bubbly and golden on top.

This is the smoked Gouda I used...I found both cheeses in the specialty cheese area of HEB. Where they have the olive bar, cheese balls, etc. If you can't find it, ask someone and they will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Delicious mac n cheese with Baked Chicken with Dijon and Lime - recipe can be found HERE! The baked chicken was also very good, moist and light.


No comments:

Post a Comment