Friday, October 30, 2009

It's Fall Y'all!


I'm not sure if I have a favorite season but I know I do love FALL! Here are just a few things that I love about fall...
- cool morning and cool nights
- the smell of cinnamon
- comfort food like chili and chicken n dumplings
- baking delicious fall desserts
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Starbucks Pumpkin bread
- it's a time of Thanksgiving
- my birthday
- means Christmas is upon us
- get to layer on the clothes
- seeing the colors change

Lately I've been guilty of wanting Starbucks pumpkin bread on a regular basis. Thankfully, I do not treat myself to this tasty bread very often. For one, it's rather pricey for a girl on a budget and it does no good for my waistline. I decided I was bound and determined to make a pumpkin bread similar to that of Starbucks. Well, mission accomplished! One year for Christmas (probably 3 years ago) Momma B. got me an entire set of Southern Living Cookbooks. They were vintage cookbooks from 1976. I am what you call a "cookbook junkie" kind of like the "fabric junkie" I am. Better than being a different kind of "junkie!" right? I think I wrote about my cookbook problem in a previous post, here. This was my first recipe out of one of those cookbooks and I know it will not be my last. It was super easy to make and that is the kind of recipe I love. No frills, just good eats! I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into the pumpkin bread when I took it out of the oven...I called my mom and told her if the bread taste half as good as the batter, I am in trouble! Ha!

This recipe says to bake in 2 loaf pans but my sister bought me THIS for my birthday last year and I thought it would be prettier if I used the Bundt pan instead of loaf pans. Use whatever you have or wish! But wouldn't this bread be beautiful in this PAN?? This recipe also is showing it's age...it calls for salad oil, I decided it must be vegetable oil. But at first I was like what? I need to call mom on this one...but I didn't, haha! I used my stand mixer for this recipe, even to mix in the flour. Beware it's a lot of sugar & flour going on in this recipe...

Pumpkin Bread

3 cups sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 c. salad oil aka vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2/3 cup water
2 cups canned pumpkin - I used 1 15oz can
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp soda

Mix the sugar, eggs, oil, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and water in bowl. Add the pumpkin and mix well. Stir in the flour and soda. Place in 2 well-greased loaf pans or 1 large Bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Right out of the oven...just looks like Fall to me!

I also dusted powdered sugar on mine for a nice finishing touch.

Enjoy!

"And even when the trees have just surrendered to the harvest time, forfeiting their leaves in late September and sending us inside...still I notice You when change begins and I am braced for colder winds, I will offer thanks for what has been and was to come - You are autumn..."

No comments:

Post a Comment