Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Strawberry Lemonade Muffins



So I had some strawberries that were on the verge of going bad and it just so happened that around the same time, I got an email from Southern Living titled "40 Fresh & Juicy Strawberry" recipes.  Bingo!  I went through all of them looking for one in which I had all ingredients on hand.  I found one, decided to start baking around 10 last night - I had plans on baking them earlier in the evening but let's just say we had an emergency bath instead for my sweet B...anyhow, took the first batch out of the oven and I'll be honest thought "hmm, kind of disappointing!"  Ha...well 2 or 3 more muffins later, I was in love.

They are super easy to make and taste so good.  When I first whipped up the batter, I was thinking this can't be right.  It is very dough like, just a tad moist which makes the baked muffin so light and fluffy!  I didn't measure my strawberries either, just cut up what I had & tossed them in.  I think it has a perfect amount of lemon, just a hint in each bite and the sugar on top makes it!!  Because I did not have self-rising flour like the recipe called for, I substituted with all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.

Here is the recipe from myrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour OR 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour with 2 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
  • 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 
  • 1 1/2 cups diced fresh strawberries

Preparation

  1. 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Combine flour and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
  2. 2. Stir together sour cream and next 4 ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold strawberries into batter. Spoon batter into lightly greased 12-cup muffin pans, filling three-fourths full. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sugar over batter.
  3. 3. Bake at 400° for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 1 minute; remove from pans to wire rack, and cool 10 minutes.
 
 
 Perfect in the morning with a cup of coffee or a late night snack - or both, all in the same day.  Yes, I speak from experience...do you know the muffin man?

No comments:

Post a Comment