They are super easy to make and taste so good. When I first whipped up the batter, I was thinking this can't be right. It is very dough like, just a tad moist which makes the baked muffin so light and fluffy! I didn't measure my strawberries either, just cut up what I had & tossed them in. I think it has a perfect amount of lemon, just a hint in each bite and the sugar on top makes it!! Because I did not have self-rising flour like the recipe called for, I substituted with all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
Here is the recipe from myrecipes.com
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour OR 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour with 2 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh strawberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Combine flour and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- 2. Stir together sour cream and next 4 ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold strawberries into batter. Spoon batter into lightly greased 12-cup muffin pans, filling three-fourths full. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sugar over batter.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 1 minute; remove from pans to wire rack, and cool 10 minutes.
Perfect in the morning with a cup of coffee or a late night snack - or both, all in the same day. Yes, I speak from experience...do you know the muffin man?