Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Every kingdom has a King!

For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever

According to dictonary.com thine means - 3. that which belongs to thee: Thine is the power and the glory.

On Palm Sunday, Jesus came into Jerusalem riding a donkey (Matthew 21:1-10).  Matthew 21:8 says Jesus came to Jerusalem as a King and his glory was recognized on earth that day.  People called out to him, "Blessed is he who comes in God's name!"  "Hosanna in the highest!"  Even thought there were others who still annoyed with this Jesus claiming to be sent by God, at this moment many of the people gave him a royal welcome.  Cloaks & other garments thrown down for him, branches swayed, people in awe of this man who would soon die for them.





Seems like a entry fit for a King, except that he was riding on a donkey.  But this has nothing to do with a donkey.  It does have everything to do with what this processional is leading up to and that is Easter.

When the Lamb was slain.
When all of creation stood still.
When He paid the ultimate price for our sins.
When He conquered death with this life of love.

Last Sunday, the sermon was titled "For Thine Is" in a sermon series about The Lord's Prayer.  As I listened to Pastor Stan preach about how this is not my kingdom but thine kingdom something resonated in me.

I have been going about this staying at home thing all wrong.  I thought this was about me.  But clearly I was am wrong.  One would think that staying home would be easy.  That it would be a walk in the park.  Or so that is what I imagined it to be.  Some days I would think if I went back to work, things would be easier.  I would at least get "a break" from being thrown up on, that I would get to wear cute outfits, and that I would be financially contributing to my family.  We would have "extra money" for "extra things."

I knew when I quit my job to stay home that I would never be able to get this time back with Brady, and that I could always make more money, at that moment it was what we felt was the best choice for our family.  And it is.

But there are days where I feel so inadequate.  As a wife, as a mom, as a 29 year old girl.  So then I start to think about how if we had more money, if we had this, or if we had that.  Clearly looking to things of this world that do nothing for me but make me feel even more inadequate.  I often have have to tell myself "my riches are not here but in Heaven" or "it's what's in my heart that counts, not my bank account!"

But it is NOT about me.  It wasn't about Jesus riding in on a donkey either.  It is about a King.

Our whole life is about this King.  King of all kings.

The Lord's Prayer says "for thine is the kingdom..." meaning God's kingdom.

Pastor Stan asked us, "What kingdom do you call home...ours or God's?  Who sits on the throne of our heart?"

Wow.  I think as a believer, I just always thought or assumed that Jesus does sit on the throne of my heart.  But how easy it is to let ourselves become the one who sits there.  For it is in our flesh, to think of ourselves first rather than the one who ultimately gave us this life in the first place.

It is impossible to live in God's kingdom and our kingdom for I have been trying to do both.  I can not be in the "king" of my kingdom if I call myself a believer.  Meaning I can't do it all, I can't control every facet of my life, I can't control how my day goes...but what I can do is remind myself that I do serve a King who can do it all.

For He already has...

I sat teary-eyed in the pew, all by myself (AB took B. out due to his loud babbling) feeling convicted and thinking to myself what an amazing, sovereign Lord we serve.  After all, this life isn't about me or about my kingdom or about a job or about the pity party I have been throwing myself.  It is about my King's kingdom and which my life belongs to Him.

Pastor Stan made this point during the sermon and I love it - Jesus' glorification didn't come at his triumphal entry but at the cross.

He also said that we can never experience the true meaning of Easter until we move from the "mine" to "thine" mentality.

I think this is so true.  This will be my first Easter as a mom but more importantly this will be my first Easter where Jesus will truly be sitting on the throne of my heart for there is no greater than joy than knowing King Jesus!

In what kingdom do you reside?  Who sits on the throne of your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment