Wednesday, December 12, 2012

James - revisited

*revised from when originally posted

My house is dark and quiet.  The only sounds are coming from B's room and his radio, singing praises to the newborn King.

And while I should be sleeping, I'm wide awake.  With lots on my mind.  Seems the nighttime when all is quiet is when I can actually think.  Guess that is most mommas.

But as I lay in my bed thinking about life, which lately has been really trying for our family, I'm reminded to humble myself before the Lord.  I also reminded that struggles in this life is where we learn to really hold onto to our faith.  When our faith is tested, it is only building our endurance.

"Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.  For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.  If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you."  James 1:2-5 NLT
When struggles or conflict rises, I think it's human nature to seek guidance or wisdom.  Or just when life in general gets tough or has us down. 

But true wisdom comes from God.  
James 3: 13 NLT says,
"If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom."
And not sure if it's just me, but it seems when one thing starts heading south, they ALL do!  The "when it rains, it pours!" kind of deal.
But maybe that's the way God intended it to be.  Because for it is when we are weak, He is strong!
Which a good friend reminded me of today.  That God puts us in uncomfortable situations in order to lean on Him when we are weak and draw strength from Him.  Not from ourselves.
When we do this, we have to humble ourselves before Him.  Because this journey isn't about us, but Him.

How easy that is to forget!

The world tells us it's okay to be angry, to get even, to feel as if we are entitled to something.  When that could be farther from the truth.  And the devil also wants us to believe these lies.

I am quickly realizing I am not exempt from these lies.  Or from uncomfortable situations, or hard times, or the downs of life.

For during my struggles, it's not only a time for me to draw on His strength, but a time to grow in His word.  Since that's where I go for guidance, comfort, and peace.

To humble myself before Him.  In all of His glorious wonder & majesty.

So while searching and seeking to help through this season of my life, I'm brought to the book of James.  For several times through James, it takes about humbling yourself before the Lord.  And that is where God meets me. 

In my brokenness, in my sinful ways, in my troubles.

Sweet friends, I am in NO way perfect and I fall short on many occasions.  I do not have it all together.  I do lots of things wrong and lots of times wish I could change the way I did them.  But I can't change the past, I can only work on today.

"Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way."  James 3:2 NLT

I still have so much work to do on myself.  But it is with each struggle that I am reminded I cannot do it without His grace and mercy.  And mostly His forgiveness.

And humbling myself before Him means quickly forgiving those who have hurt me.  It means making it right to those who I have hurt.  Even when that wasn't my intentions.  It means throwing my pride aside.  It means loving the unloveable.  It means removing "my feelings" and doing what's right even when I don't feel like it.  Making peace.

Especially when this is what His word tells me to do.
James 3:17-18 NLT
17 But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere. 18 And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.

It also means praising Him for our struggles, uncomfortable situations, and the downs of this life.  Praising Him for loving us enough to redeem us every.single.time we fall short.  Praising Him for allowing us to lean on Him and rest in His arms.

Praising Him even though we feel alone in this world, we never are thanks to His unfailing love. 

My hope is that if you are facing any kind of conflict in your life, you will draw on Him for your strength.  That you can find it in your heart to forgive and love each other as Christ loves us.  And yes in this life, you will have troubles and be in placed in uncomfortable situations but that's where He loves to meet us. 

That is where He is able to take the mess in our lives and transform it into something beautiful.

Know there is nothing that can separate you from His love.  He knows we are going to make mistakes, which is why He took on the Cross for us.  I pray you can find encouragement through your struggles.  That you are able to praise Him through them.  He is never far away and He sees your despair.  Reach out to Him and He will show you His ways.  Which are always pure, kind, and loving.
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor. James 4:10

1 comment:

  1. A gift for you from the wilderness...
    The woman of Rev 12 is now here, she is the prophet like unto Moses and Elijah Matt 17:3, Acts 3:21-23, Luke 1:17 delivering the true word John 1:1 from the wilderness to prepare a people for the Lord’s return. God our Father will not put any child of his into a hell fire no matter what their sins and no matter if they repent in this world or not. It never entered the heart or mind of God to ever do such a thing Jer 7:31, Jer 19:5. A gift of truth that sets us all free Pro 14:25 is now delivered to the whole world as a witness Matt 24:14. Start here... http://minigoodtale.blogspot.com obey the word Prove all things.

    ReplyDelete