Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mini vacay to San Antonio

Back in December (the 14th & 15th), we took a mini vacation to San Antonio.  Mini as in an over night stay.  Not much but it was a great time with my little family.

I don't think I have any shared this but in December we had a big change happen in our house.  AB got a new job!  It was kind of out of no where and after praying for months for a change, we felt it was an answered prayer.  We had really hoped he could start after the holidays but due to other circumstances that didn't happen.  So within a matter of a few days, we were transitioning to a new life.  Where AB would now have a regular 8-5, Monday through Friday job.  With benefits!  Huge for our family.

So we decided to take advantage of his time off before starting his new job.  We also knew we wouldn't be able to really celebrate our anniversary (which is December 29th and when we had my family Christmas) so this was kind of a mini anniversary celebration.

I've learned that once kids are in the picture...anniversaries are a lot less glamorous!  And that is a-ok...
So back to the trip...we headed up Friday around lunch time.  We had no hotel reservations, we figured it would be no problem getting a room.  Ha!  For some reason, many of the hotels were booked solid but we did end up finding a room at Hotel Valenica.  One of the hotels I've always wanted to stay at, so it worked out rather nice.  Only down fall - no breakfast.  Breakfast is my favorite when on vacation.  Like I arrange my schedule around eating breakfast...which is a big deal since I am not a morning person!

Brady really enjoyed playing in the bath tub...getting in and out, over and over.

After a walk around the Riverwalk, we ended up having dinner at Paesanos.  We decided to eat outside in hopes the people watching would entertain B.  

 
The food was delicious!  And B had calamari for the first time ever!  He insisted on eating it so I said ok thinking he really wouldn't eat it...boy I was wrong!  He did really great during dinner and our food was amazing!


After dinner, we took a riverboat ride/tour to look at all the Christmas lights.  I think Brady enjoyed "talking" with the others on the boat, rather than looking at the lights.  Such a social butterfly!



We ended our night with a stop at Starbucks.  Starbucks is a real treat for us since the closet one is 25 minutes away.  B also got a special little treat, a snowman sugar cookie.


The next morning, we checked out of hotel and then headed to find breakfast.  We ended up finding a place on Yelp off the beaten path...that had the biggest plate of biscuits and gravy I had ever seen.  It was a LOT of food.  Enough to feed a small army!  There was no way I could eat all of it, but it was really good food.  Thanks to Yelp for the recommendation.


We ended up meeting up with B's cousins after breakfast and then headed back home.  I really wanted to make a stop at Trader's Joe but it was B's nap time and he fell asleep as soon as we put him in his seat.  There's always next time...


It was a spur of the moment trip, best kind in my opinion and I so enjoyed spending time away with my 2 boys!  I look forward to many more trips with them, even if it's just for a night.  These are the memories I don't ever want to forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment