Sunday, September 20, 2009

Classic Buttermilk Pie


This is a classic recipe to good ol' fashioned buttermilk pie. I was super excited to use my new KitchenAid mixer for the first time last Friday! If you have never had buttermilk pie, oh it is heavenly! It is very similar to a Chess Pie and you do not even taste the buttermilk - so don't let the buttermilk part turn you away. I love this recipe because it is so versatile and you can add in fun stuff like sweetened flake coconut, chocolate chips, blueberries, raspberries, pretty much anything you can think of that will make this pie even more delicious. I love a good plain 'ol buttermilk pie right out of the oven...but I also love coconut buttermilk pie, which is what I made over the weekend. I do believe it was a hit! Both pies were gone by Saturday night. I hope you get a chance to make this simply delicious pie. While I love to bake, I did not make my own pie crust this time - yes I'll admit I used store bought pie shells (the ones you can find in the freezer section)...makes the whole pie-making process way less complicated.

Buttermilk Pie

1/2 cup butter, room temperature (one stick)
2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 package of unbaked pie shells (9 in) or make your own pie crust
1 heaping cup of sweetened, flaked coconut (optional)

Preheat oven to 450*. Cream butter and sugar together. Mix in flour. Add one egg at a time, blending well after each egg. Add in buttermilk and vanilla until thoroughly mixed. Stir in coconut or whatever else you want OR omit coconut for a classic buttermilk pie. By adding the coconut, it makes 2 pies. Without coconut, will probably make only one pie. Bake pie for 5 minutes at 450* then bring temp down to 350* and bake for an additional 25 minutes (until top is a nice, brown color and center is cooked all the way through - I use the toothpick method). Let cool on racks, may serve when slightly cooled or
serve at room temperature. Refrigerate remaining pie.

Right out of the oven

So heavenly...sweet & delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment